Friday, April 6, 2012

Falling Away

She looks uncertain under the right light.  I've seen the look.  An echo of her mother's, usually carrying a smirk.  This time, humor escaped her eyes as she fought past the tears.

"It's going to be lonely here," she said, emotions lining her cheekbones as she smiled, "Silly me.  Looking through the good for the bad.  This is your dream.  Go. Go!"

So I did.

The door shut behind me.  I left my home, back to it, I stared at the sun, placed one foot in front of another to the car.  Car in reverse down the driveway, I looked for pulled curtains.  Seeking her smile.  Hoping for it, really.  But nothing.

"I'm alone in this," I said quietly.

So was she.

4 comments:

  1. A sad little story of separation. I'm thinking of my oldest son who will be leaving soon for college and his own path in life.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI...here to visit from the AZ challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you kindly.for stopping. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful piece. And the seed of a short story, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete